Through discussions of how to honor Principal, David Reese and his 20 years of service to BHS we learned of his dream to complete the area surrounding our historic water tower, now located at the Kern County Museum.
The water tower was built in 1933 by famed architect Charles Biggar and was originally used to increase the water pressure and irrigate the BHS campus. This tower became a physical symbol of our BHS legacy as the backdrop for 83 seasons of football and also became the “unofficial landmark” for alumni. We remember spiritedly its tagging by crosstown rivalries and reminisce fondly of the proud fixture as we 50,000 graduates walked through the shade it cast across Griffith Field. The water tower was lovingly relocated in August 2016 to the Kern County Museum. Although it withstood the earthquakes of 1952 unscathed, it failed to meet current building codes triggered by the Griffith Field renovation project.
Thanks to our generous donors, the Bakersfield High School Alumni Plaza/Water Tower project at Kern County Museum has been fully funded! However, it is not too late to add your name to the plaques. This campaign will remain open until June 20, 2020.